Search This Blog

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Primping and Preening: My Beauty Routine

Most beauty consultants will tell you taking care of your body is the first step to achieving the look you desire.  Usually, they each have a different opinion about what to emphasize:  skin, hair, or really good make-up.  There are a lot of different approaches to a beauty routine and every lovely lady has her own version.
My beauty routine is generally low key.  The fewer steps I have to complete before bedtime or walking out the door, the happier I am.

Hair:
My hair is fine, thin and very flat.
Since I am growing out my hair, I decided to use Herbal Essence's 'Long Term Relationship' shampoo and conditioner.  I've probably been using it for about a year now and I am extremely pleased with the results.  While I can't say it has made my hair grow faster, I can say it has kept my split ends to such a minimum it allows me to wait months and months before I go in for a trim. 

Along with my shampoo and conditioner, I use Aussie's Hair Insurance leave-in conditioner.  I like to use it on days I switch up my shampoo (Head and Shoulders, anyone?) and when I am going to apply heat to my hair.  It's also helpful for when my super fine, super thin hair gets static-y. 

I am trying to incorperate Pantene mousse for fine hair to my after-shower routine.  I've yet to figure out how to use it best.

I tried a mayonnaise soak a few times on my hair to amp up the health.  I do not recommend it.  The only result I could see, rather smell, is that my head smelled like mayo for days (even after washes!!!)

Skin:
For my face, my skin tends to be some kind of dry. I cannot seem to find something to even it out.  Right now I use Mary Kay's Timewise face wash and lotion for normal to dry skin.  If you have a suggestion, I'd be more than willing to try it!

To remove my make-up, I use a homemade remover that works wonderfully. It's roughly a half-and-half mixture of olive oil and witch hazel.  I love this stuff.  Kandee Johnson shows you how to make it here.

I need to probably use lotion on the rest of my body more often.  It just takes so long ... and the dog wants to lick it off my legs. Haha!

Other:
Nails - for my finger nails, I have been trying to use some Sally Hansen nail strengthener (Green Tea + Olive) to keep them strong.

Hair removal - When it comes to hair removal, like my older sister I use disposable razors and water.  I haven't used shaving cream in years.  It slows down the shower process.  I should probably use it though.  I tried to do waxing when it came to my wedding, but NO WAY can I do that.  I don't see how girls endure that. 

For my eyebrows, I pluck whe I can.  I can usually go several weeks without having to pluck again but that's mainly because there's not too much to pluck in my case.  Also, every once in a while when I'm feeling ambitious I'll 'groom' my eyebrows according to Kandee Johnson's tips.  It really helps pronounce the shape of my brows well. 


So, those are the basics of my 'beauty routine.'  I try to keep it simple.  As you can see, I am glad to have found Kandee Johnson. Haha.  She has such great tutorials.  If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions don't hesitate to post!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me know about Kandee Johnson :) I've just subscribed to her youtube. I especially like her naked makeup look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome, Tara! She's got a lot of different helpful tutorials. She's my favorite youtuber.

    ReplyDelete