Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

1: My (Un) Beauty Routine


This week, we are outlining our beauty routines and the things we'd like to change or new things we'd like to add into our pampering time. 
Prepare yourself. This is my un-beauty confession.
Skin:
I’ll admit, I don’t know much about skin care. What I do know is that I commit far too many of the carnal sins of skin, for example: sleeping in my makeup on a regular basis.
I wash my face in the shower with Clean & Clear Oil-Free Foaming Facial Cleanser for Sensitive Skin maybe once every two to three days.  
Maybe once a month, just for fun, I use the Queen Helene Mint Juniper Masque or do an oil massage/cleanse with coconut oil and steam it off.
I rarely use lotion or moisturizer, but if I do, I use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion.
Since having my daughter, my skin has chronically felt like sandpaper. A bit of exfoliation and/or some moisturizer sometimes makes it feel a bit smoother, but I rarely do it.
Hair removal:
I haven’t used shaving cream in years. I never buy my own and don’t want to use all of my husband’s.  I usually use various kinds of super cheap disposable razors, often after my husband has quit using them because they aren’t sharp enough for his face or head anymore. I only shave my legs about once a month, I try to hit up my pits a bit more often!
I dry shave my eyebrows every few weeks with a dull razor (usually while doing my makeup when I notice my brows are out of control) because I’m too lazy/busy to pluck. I have a waxing pot, which I loved to use for my brows, but I’ve been out of wax for over 3 years and haven’t bought any more.
I wear Burt’s Bees Original Lip Balm religiously. I’m an addict. It’s a crisis if I leave home without it.
Hair:
I wash my hair about once per week with Paul Mitchell’s Tea Tree Shampoo, which is amazing. I haven’t used conditioner in almost 10 years.

So as you can see, there is LOTS of room for improvement. I really would LOVE to start using some nice products on my face and get it back to feeling nice and smooth on a regular basis. I probably could use a good exfoliation. I would love to get a nice razor and have my own nice shaving cream. It would be lovely if I could wax my brows again! I'm sure some conditioner wouldn't hurt my hair every now and then. In the next few months, I plan to incorporate some of these things into a routine in my life. Taking good care of myself makes me feel much more confident.
Are there any estheticians in our audience that can suggest some good skin care products for combination break-out prone & sandpaper dry skin? A good masque? Exfoliant? I need some advice from a pro!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a professional but I can still give you some tips that I use. For hair removal, I sometimes use hair conditioner on my legs then shave it off. It leaves my skin soft. For some reason, my legs are dry if I use shaving cream. For an exfoliant, I use Holy Mud Pumpkin Glycolic Mask. I freakin' LOVE this stuff! It smells so good I want to eat my face when I'm using it. haha! Here is the link. http://www.holymud.com/exfoliating.html It can be a little pricey but I got it for half off at Totsy. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dhccare.com. best everything ever. one bottle of ceramide milk will last you a year. the olive oil make up remover literally dissolves every trace of make up. their apricot scrub puts st. ives to shame. their mineral mask is sent down from heaven. the pure soap clears your face of oil with out making your skin peel. every order you place, you get 4 free samples. you can sign up to get the catalogue and they will send you free samples about once a month. i flipping love dhc.

    ReplyDelete