Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Intro to Sister #2!

Sister #2: Molly

Oooh, look at this shiny new blog!




I’m sister number 2!  I’m a recently married audio editor for a syndicated radio show.  The current look I'm aiming for is rockabilly/pinup.  I’ve been drawn to this look for a few years but have only really started to experiment with it more heavily recently.  For example, my wedding look was 'pinup' style curled hair, a birdcage style veil, and a single string of pearls.  I also had a beautiful ivory satin swing dress for the reception.

When I was younger, my style was kind of a punk/skater mix I guess.  My day-to-day wear in high school and early college was jeans, skater shoes, a t-shirt (usually black), and a flannel shirt to go over it all.  While I still wear that sometimes, entering the business world has demanded I get a little more ‘grown-up.’  Thus, the more sophisticated step up from my grungy teen look is the classy Hollywood pinup look.  I’ve found it very hard to achieve, though, with my current wardrobe and wish I could empty it all and buy what I want to replace it!

My old hairstyle was the BEST.  You know that emo cut that everybody got in the mid- to late 2000s?  I had it first. BOOYA.  Haha no really, I got it when I was 12 (2001), but decided to grow the front pieces out so I ended up with this super unique haircut that I loved.  I’ve had my hair bleach blonde, natural red, and fire engine red.  Right now, I’ve grown all my dyed hair out, and have my all natural ‘medium ash’ brown colored hair.  It reaches below my shoulders now and I am aiming for mid- to lower back.

For make-up, I wear a lot of brown/gold/champagne tones with the winged black eyeliner.  My fingernails are usually clean or red when I feel frisky (My toes are usually much more exciting colors!). 

Speaking of colors, I guess I wear just about anything. People tell me I look nice in teal/blue/green colors which are pretty easy to wear with my complexion, eye color, and hair color.  I like to wear red, too, and have an extensive amount of black in my closet. Plus, I am ALWAYS drawn to gray.  It looks so comfy!  

Jeans are an essential for my casual wear. I don’t have many pairs, but whenever I’m going someplace that’s not work, the jeans go on.  My favorite shirt to wear right now is a black t-shirt from the band Continental with an old fashioned ribbon-microphone on it.  Unfortunately, for work it’s a lot of get up, throw on clothes and go.  The days I spend more time on my look are ones where I usually wear a dress or skirt, my black mary jane heels, a cardigan, and actually do something with my hair.  Those are usually the days I want to chuck most of my closet for a better one.

Really, I feel like that is my biggest obstacle right now.  My closet seems kind of plain-jane to me and I’d like to look fabulous everyday.  Slacks and a polo don’t pull it off.  (Ugh work, why must you be so uninspiring?) My second biggest obstacle would probably be getting into a little bit better shape.  Don’t get me wrong, my man LOVES my curves and I do too, but vintage sizing is unforgiving.  Got to get back to that workout routine.

When it comes to my inspiration, besides the lovely vintage ladies of the past, I often head to youtube.  I watch pancea81, KandeeJohnson, and Lilith Moon.  I spend hours looking at Modcloth.com for clothes that are WAY out of my price range but SO adorable!  I have a wishlist there and everything is just about at $100.  They have a link to their flickr page which serves as more inspiration! I also surf Etsy and Unique-Vintage.com for clothes.  I’ve yet to buy any, though.  Money is such a drag. 

To sum up, I guess you could say my style and closet are in a state of transition and refinement.  Perhaps I shall blog of this journey? 

1 comment: